Announced in Worship Service on September 13, 2020 by Neal Smith, Elder
In a typical year, we would be standing here today and updating you on the process for leadership discernment and beginning the process of nominations that would be voted on later in the fall. However, as we all know this is not a typical year. Due to the impact of the pandemic, the entire leadership discernment calendar has been skewed and we are here today to inform the congregation of our plan to get things back on track for 2021.
The plan we bring this morning would extend the Elder and Deacon terms by 1 year. By doing this and starting earlier in the Fall for next year, we should be on track for a normal leadership election in Fall of 2021. Hopefully, with a good pool of leadership candidates.
As most of us know, Deacons, Elders and other congregational leaders are elected each year for terms of 1 or 2 years. The process for preparing a slate of nominees begins in February or March each year with the election of a nominating committee, called the Leadership Discernment Committee (LDC), comprised of representatives from the Elders, Deacons and the congregation at large. In a good year, this process involves the LDC having conversations with current leaders and individuals identified as potential leaders. That process can start in the spring and carry through the summer.
This year, the wheels came off due the pandemic and while the Elders and Deacons had appointed their representatives, we were unable to take the next step of gathering congregational representatives and holding a vote on the Committee in the spring.
So by adapting to the reality and adding 1 year to each team we see three clear advantages: First, it provides stable leadership through these confusing times. Second, this alleviates the need for multiple votes. Finally, this plan enables us to do what has been discussed—and rarely implemented—start in the Fall with an LDC process that creates a pool of potential or current leaders that we can invest in with training and resourcing.
So we bring this plan to you today as our intended course of action. In deference to our congregational model, we are putting this out for your prayer and consideration for two weeks before we call it final. If you have questions or concerns please email me [Neal Smith] or Jerry Herbert at firstname.lastname@example.org by Sunday, September 27, 2020.